I believe now is the time to get involved with a startup. The startup movement has really been a spawn of the Great Recession with thousands of companies attempting to be the next Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, Apple, or Uber. Many have made it big in the most recent startup movement and many have not.
I recommend at this time to get involved with a startup for an equity position ASAP! Now is the time. If you have a full time job, I totally recommend it, just double check it is not a conflict of interest with your current employer. If you have finance skills, you can be a Controller or part-time CFO; IT skills, you can assist with the technology aspect of it, if you have HR or Operations experience, you can assist with those components as well. Below are some of the reasons to get involved with a startup:
- You make it big, the company goes public like Facebook, or has a valuation like Uber, you go to Bora Bora and the rest is history.(possible, slim odds)
- Company gets bought out and you make a little bit of money on your equity stake.(slim but possible also)
- You make some dividends at a later date, not anything to write home about, but a nice “bonus”. (Pretty Possible)
- You are able to get in the top level with the startup and able to demonstrate you can handle a Director or Executive Role, setting yourself up for a future gig.(Very Possible)
- Able to learn new skills, new processes that can be used at a later date. (Very Possible)
- Able to make new network connections that could come in handy later. (Very Possible)
- Also able to possibly add an additional income pillar.
All of these are great benefits to consider. Places like CoFoundersLab and FounderDating are great places to start.